Monday, June 29, 2015

Pride – Being Afraid to Look like a (cisgender) Straight Girl

Probably the most eye-opening and ridiculous thing that happened this pride was yesterday, when I became seriously concerned that I looked like a straight girl. My worry was that I looked too much like a regular girl, rather than a queer one. I had jumped past worrying if people thought I was a trans or cis girl and was on a whole different level. On the BART Saturday (on our way to dyke march), my (complicated, non-monogamous) girlfriend Rach and I overheard these two queer girls complaining about how rainbow tutus actually identify you as a straight girl, rather than a gay one (at Pride, many of the queer people just dress like normal/queer people [which believe it or not doesn’t always include ridiculous rainbow outfits]…it’s generally the straight people who wear all of the cheap ridiculous rainbow outfits that you can buy at pride). Rach, who was wearing a rainbow bustle that day was somewhat offended by this comment (after all, she is queer) and we discussed it for the next day or two. Essentially, Rach has a very “everyone should just do whatever makes you happy” belief. I try to always have that mindset and I managed to maintain it through Saturday.

However, yesterday (the main pride day) was probably at least 50-60% populated with straight and cisgender people just there for fun, while Trans March (Friday) and Dyke March (Saturday) both were probably more than 75% populated with queer/trans people (and/or allies who were actively fighting for the cause). Through Saturday, I had felt so comfortable and happy seeing all of these people. I found my family! My people. I wasn’t alone. In fact, for that group, even with my homemade rainbow fur vest, I blended in so well! It was amazing. I loved it.

But then yesterday, there were enormous crowds, many of which were largely filled with people who don’t at all identify as LGBTQIA etc. or even as allies. There were too many unfriendly/ignorant stares and comments for that entire crowd to be filled with (decently educated) allies. But for once, I’m not trying to criticize these people. Unless they go (back?) to gay-bashing today, who knows, maybe they learned a little and enjoyed a little bit of queerness. Good for them!

My concern for not wanting to be seen as a straight girl wasn’t because I thought it was bad to be straight. In fact, I didn’t really care about the non-queer peeps much. I just wanted the other queer people (particular queer women and trans people of any age) to know I was one of them. I wanted my family (LGBT people) to know that I was an insider, rather than a once-a-year queer. I wanted to be proud and ridiculous, but I felt like I was balancing two different identities. For a long time after coming out, I felt that being trans was first and foremost my best identifier and being a queer lady was a secondary one. But as I meet more and more queer women, many (if not most) of which are actually way more masculine that me, it seems so silly for “trans” to be a qualifier/identifier in every situation. After all (for a few reasons), I have way more lesbian than trans friends (and no, those categories are not mutually exclusive), so it makes sense that I find myself more concerned with the thoughts of people in that group who are now starting to define me (in a new, awesome way).

I kept wanting to buy rainbow stuff. After all, in regular life, one or two rainbow items are a great identifier for queer people. However, during pride, too many rainbows is actually an identifier of non-queer people who want to celebrate (or parody) queerness, but aren’t in-tune enough or comfortable enough with the real LGBT community to know how to present as queer without a (figuratively) black-and-white color pattern. So, after I had planned ahead with a few items, bought a few more, took off my vest (I started the day with just a bra, my lace vest, and my uber-queer demin jacket), and inherited Rach’s emergency rainbow tutu, I realized that I looked way more like all of the straight girls there than like any of my (queer) friends.

It’s all about a sense of belonging. After all, day-to-day (not in the Bay Area) being queer is often something that makes you not belong in a place. I wanted to experience as much belonging as I could and it was frustrating that I fell into this ironic and hilarious trap of trying to look too queer that I actually ended up looking neither trans nor queer. That realization alone however made the struggle entirely worth it!



P.S. I don’t really like the well-accepted trans flag (light blue, white, and pink), because it makes so much less sense to me than the alternative trans symbol where pink fades to blue (through purple), plus I like the fashion of rainbows better…hence my wardrobe choices. Happy Pride Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment