Sunday, April 19, 2015

Our Country's F'd up Treatment (or lack thereof) of Drugs

This country is WAY more interested in preventing illegal drug use than it is in providing proper mental health treatment for it's citizens. And the utter irony is that the vast majority of illegal (not weed) drug users have significant mental issues (be it schizophrenia or anxiety or ADHD) and can't or don't know that they should be receiving treatment.

As many of you know, I have been having a rough time lately (but don't worry, I'm alright). I am currently being treated for a number of psychological issues, about half of which were only recognizable after I came out. I take three different drugs prescribed by my psychiatrist. I have been on all three of over a year now, and began taking the first about three years ago. While these drugs don't fix a single thing, they really do help from experiencing some of the awful side affects of anxiety and gender dysphoria. They basically just help me stay stable, particularly when combined with proper self-care and therapy. One of these (very helpful) drugs is a schedule II narcotic. What that means is that my psychiatrist cannot prescribe me more than one month's worth at a time. Not only that, but she can't prescribe it electronically or over the phone like you can with almost anything else. She has to physically print it out and sign it...even if I am taking it the 100 ft to the on-campus pharmacy. For obviously reasons, if I am out of town, keeping myself properly stocked can be particularly difficult. I ran out of this drug on thursday and my psychiatrist literally overnighted me an Rx. Well, not a single one of the pharmacies around here stock the exact caplet size that she prescribed. I explained that it was an emergency and would be willing to even take a slightly lower dose each day if I could just get some to get me the three days back to when I go back to Santa Barbara. They couldn't. So I'm just doing without. Which I can. But its definitely kinda hard. I have a psychiatrist who is desperately trying to treat my very well-document psychological disorders and no matter what we do, I can't get the meds I need because of government regulations. After stressfully dealing with this today, a friend recommended someone who could get me almost any Rx drug, including the one I need. I don't think I am going to take him up on it, but if I wasn't going back to SB in a few days, I would. So, I, a person who has been (repeatedly) prescribed a legal drug to treat a legitimate problem may end up supporting the illegal drug trade in order to actually get access to the meds I was prescribed. This system is fucked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment